The Sports Broadcast

A blog about sports broadcasting from the great state of Florida. They report. I decide.

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Boston Red Sox: 2004 World Series Champions

The Boston Red Sox just won the World Series. History was made and erased tonight. If there ever was a curse, it's gone. You'd have to be an idiot to believe they overcame all they had to in order to get to this point.

Really, for me it's not all that foreign to think of Boston as the champs. Sure, I know the history and I've heard the stories. However, Boston has been a good team for most of my sports-conscious life, so it's not unusual in my mind for a good team to win a title. It's not like writing about the Bengals or Clippers, who have been perpetually horrid, winning a championship.

In addition, I don't know what the loser mindset is like. I was born into the Steve Spurrier era at Florida, I remember the Reds in 1990 and the powerhouse Orioles teams of the mid-'90s, the Magic have made the playoffs more times in their 15 years than they've missed them, and even the Bucs had the best period in team history during my lifetime. I do not, and cannot, understand what this means to Boston fans.

As for the Cardinals, I can empathize some as the Magic were swept from the Finals in 1995, and that same year the Gators lost to Nebraska in the national title game 62-24 (which is about as close to the sweep feeling as you can get in one game). Tony LaRussa now has set some records about getting swept in the Worlds Series. I don't know what kind of record it makes, but Edgar Renteria now has been the final batter in two different Worlds Series (you heard that one here first, folks) though last time it was a bit of a different situation with the Marlins in 1997.

I really don't like it when fan bases are referred to as "nations," so I simply say congratulations to the Sox and New England for putting up with them for so long. It is now finally worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home