The Sports Broadcast

A blog about sports broadcasting from the great state of Florida. They report. I decide.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Draft Dodger

Congratulations to the St. Louis Cardinals for winning the NLCS and getting to face the Boston This-Is-Our-Years in the World Series. Their slumbering bats woke up, and their three MVP candidates came up big with Jim Edmonds' walk-off in Game 6, Scott Rolen's big homer in Game 7, and Albert Pujols winning the series MVP. Despite the momentum behind the Red Sox right now, the Cardinals still have an excellent chance at winning the series as they have a better overall pitching staff and a lineup that might even be more dangerous than the Boston lineup. In addition, the Sox will be without Kevin Millar or David Ortiz when they visit St. Louis, a noticeable blow when the Cards will be at full power regardless. With the Red Birds and Red Sox matching up, all of the "Red October" puns have started, and I don't expect them to end anytime soon.

Next Friday is the draft for the fantasy basketball league I joined with some friends, but unfortunately I can't be there for it. That means I get to live with whatever AutoDraft gives me. Hopefully by doing my custom rankings of players I made it a little more intelligent, but depending on how other people draft and since I might end up towards the end of the drafting rotation, I still could end up with Marcus Camby and Samuel Dalembert as my two centers, and that's a scary proposition. The hardest thing to remember was that I was picking players I think will be stat machines, not what I think would be a winning team (the difference being as visible as the dichotomy of the Mavericks and Pistons). I put seven players on the exclude list: Eddie Curry, Tyson Chandler, and Michael Olowokandi for being generally useless; Chris Webber, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and Vince Carter for being injuries waiting to happen (that would cause mid-season crises and desperate waiver wire searching); and Keith Van Horn just because I've never liked him as a pro, and though he is generally useless, he does have a nice ppg (but nothing else). I can do better with players who have lower default rankings than he has, so I won't even bother with the possibility of getting stuck with him. This is my first shot at a fantasy league, so here's hoping for the best. I'll post what my team turned out to be next Saturday. I'm kind of hoping to get Cuttino Mobley since if the preseason is any indication (and it isn't always), then he's going to be the top scorer for the Magic this season, who are going to be a great team as long as they get used to each other (probable) and Hedo Turkoglu is not in front of Pat Garrity in the rotation (doubtful).

EDIT: I erroneously reported that the draft was today, but it is in fact next Friday. I still can't be there for it, so it changes nothing. I have no good explanation as to why I wrote that it was today.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Speaking of Red October, tonight the Cornell Big Red host the McGill Redmen in the men's ice hockey season opener, yayayayay


    Lauren

     

Post a Comment

<< Home