The Sports Broadcast

A blog about sports broadcasting from the great state of Florida. They report. I decide.

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Foiled Again

Once again, Miami falls behind big but stages an improbable 4th quarter comeback to win. Last year it was Florida, this year a scrappy Louisville team that just gained a lot of respect on the national stage. Louisville is ranked 17th this week, but based on their performance tonight the Cardinals really should move up in the polls. I don't know what it is about Brock Berlin, how he can throw for only 99 yards in a game earlier this year (against Houston, no less) and then 309 yards and 3 touchdowns tonight. I bet the Miami coaches wonder that too. Scratch one more team off of the potential "BCS buster" list and the potential unbeaten list, but not my potential unbeaten list as Louisville was left off of it due to this game. Hey, after the beating my predictions took last weekend, I'll take any moral victories I can get.

Speaking of Cardinals, the St. Louis - Houston game has been good tonight. The Astros jumped out to a 3-0 lead until the Cardinals' bats woke up against Pete Munro and allowed them to take a one-run lead. Houston tied it up against the immortal Kiko Calero, but now the new Murderers' Row has gotten back to being gruesome and so St. Louis is back on top. Thus far, all of the Red Birds' runs have come off of home runs, with Larry Walker and Phat Albert Pujols getting theirs and Scott Rolen putting two up and out. Hey, no one ever accused these Cardinals of playing small ball.

NOTE: Yesterday I commented on the Cardinals having a "Rivera-like closer," but I have since changed it to "a good-solid" closer. Somehow, I was thinking about the Astros' Brad Lidge while writing about St. Louis, which led to the comment. Lidge has shown some Rivera-like flashes, Jason Isringhausen has not. I have no good explanation for the error, so I'll just leave it at this: Oops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home