The Sports Broadcast

A blog about sports broadcasting from the great state of Florida. They report. I decide.

Monday, November 08, 2004

Good to be Back

After a long weekend up in Nashville, it's good to be back in Florida. I just wish I could take the weather from up there and bring it back down here. It was good to see the Gators get back on the right track despite a first half full of turnovers and more questionable calls against Florida. It's almost as if after all of the furor over the ACC refs last year, the SEC refs wanted to remind everone that they don't like Florida either (and never have). Vandy's starting QB Jay Cutler was injured on the first series of the game, which should have ended their chances of scoring on offense (and for the most part did). The Commodores earned their first 10 points, but there was no reason for their second touchdown to happen. It probably seems trite to complain about officiating when the Gators won, and over Vandy no less, but it is just another part of a long and frustrating season for UF that reared it's ugly head again on Saturday. In a season that's been embarassing enough, it was not pleasant looking at the scoreboard at halftime knowing that on stadium scoreboards and on television and computer screens across the country people were seeing "Vanderbilt 17 Florida 14 H."

Speaking of embarassing, the Magic became the wrong part of a trivia question when they became the first team to lose to the expansion Charlotte Bobcats. It had to happen to someone sometime, but you just hate it when it's your team that does it. The Magic's first ever win? Over the defending NBA champion Pistons. Perhaps it's some kind of karma for the team beating the champs in its first win, or maybe they still don't have an inside game and let Charlotte's starting frontcourt of Primoz Brezec, Gerald Wallace, and Emeka Okafor score 50 points and grab 34 rebounds combined (compare with 24 points and 21 rebounds for Orlando's starting frontcourt, with 16 of those points coming from Grant Hill and 12 of the rebounds from Dwight Howard).

The Denver Nuggets have surprised a lot of people by starting off 1-2 despite the addition of Kenyon Martin to make a tantalizing starting 5 of Martin, Nene, and Marcus Camby, Carmelo Anthony, and Andre Miller. The problem though is that Nene has been hurt, and CarMElo is shooting a putrid .254 from the field. His best shooting game so far has been the opener against the Lakers in which he went an Antoine Walker-esque 9-22, and it's been downhill since (5-25, 3-20). They will need him to make more shots (and take fewer of them) if they plan on fulfilling their lofty expectations.

Well, my fantasy team got as high as 3rd place after a stellar Saturday, but fell back to 6th after having only Chris Bosh playing last night. Such volatility is to be expected in a season so young. I have made several roster changes involving my utility and bench players in response to events that have transpired so far and to address my needs. The slots stand as follows:
Util Grant Hill
Util Austin Croshere
Bench Maurice Taylor
Bench Charlie Ward
Bench Brendan Haywood
It makes me feel bad to have Charlie Freaking Ward on my team, one of the worst in the Seminole Pantheon for Gator fans, but he's putting up better numbers than Steve Smith is, and plus, there's no rule saying you have to like the people on your fantasy team (plus he'll go when Carlos Arroyo is healthy). Taylor might overtake Hill for the utility spot too if Hill doesn't pick it up in the rebounding category.

Also, one of the other guys in the league keeps pestering me with trade deals that aren't any good for me, or generally for him either. I don't want to be rude in case I need to deal with him later (or scare anyone else off from dealing with me), but it's starting to get annoying. Essentially he keeps offering me guys who have good names but have seen their production fall off and would just sit my bench, like Latrell Sprewell and Jason Williams, plus usually Stromile Swift, for either Elton Brand or Kenyon Martin. Overall, Martin and Brand have better numbers than Swift, Ward has better numbers than Williams, and Taylor has better numbers than Sprewell, so it would not improve my team. I don't know why he picked me to try to trade with. Perhaps he thinks I'm a moron because I have done the most transactions in the league (mostly due sorting out the problems with what I got from AutoDraft) and wants to take advantage of me, but I'm not going to consent to a bad trade. He just seems bent on trading for the sake of trading as he posted on the league message board that anyone should ask him if they're interested in dealing. My two biggest needs are FT% and 3-pointers, both of which Croshere helps with tremendously, and my FT% is bad mainly because Brand is struggling early at the line, something he'll get sorted out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home